Friday, June 4, 2010

Big Dreams/Stream of consciousness

Wow, I've really started this blog with a BANG haven't I? Sometimes I fall short of my goals...life happens...it's OK with me. I won't claim to always be grammatically or politically correct or perfect in any way. Take my blog as you take me, perfectly imperfect.  I use a lot of "..." in between thoughts and I'm OK with that.  I have some strong opinions about some things and I'm OK with that too.  I do respect differing opinions, so always feel free to share when you don't agree.  For the most part, this blog will be a tribute to our life as a family and the joy and tribulations Bug, Boy, and Boy2 bring us. 

It took me a while to admit to myself that I wasn't perfect and to be perfectly honest, I'm still working on it.  I think that's one of the reasons I've held off starting a blog. 

Regardless, I'm hoping this blog will be a great way to documents moments with my children and share those moments and photos with our friends and family.  That's my dream.  Well, ONE of my dreams.  More on that later.  So, on my middle child's 2nd birthday, I am truly embarking on this blog adventure.  It's a GO!

I know you are dying to find out...Why "Socks in the tub" for a blog title?  What does that mean?  WELL, let me tell you where that came from.  Before children (BC), we heard a story from a friend of ours while discussing parenting styles.  Our friend, having 4 grown children of her own, was much wiser than us on such a topic, so we listened.  She described a time when her youngest daughter was little and insisted on wearing her socks to take a bath.  At first, our friend was a little disturbed by this, then she realized "Why not?" It's just "Socks in the tub."  This became our mantra, our approach to parenting even before we were parents.  It allows us to let go of the little things and let our children experience things outside the designated norm.  If they want to know what it feels like to wear socks (or all their clothes) in the tub, well, so be it.  They can decide whether they like the way that feels and whether or not they want to do it again.  It's so liberating for us and allows their imagination to be nurtured.  And so our children get licked by our dogs, eat dirt, put yogurt in their hair, roll in mud, wear clothes in the bath, run outside in the rain and splash in puddles, pull their diaper half way down their butt and run around until it falls off.  It's all good and it's all Socks in the Tub.

The next day or two will be filled with birthday activities, so stay tuned for photos and details to come.  I'm sure there will be a story or two to share.

Have a happy, healthy day!
Trista



1 comment:

  1. Trista, I too have started a blog several times...I miss the writing and think it's awesome that you are doing this! It inspires me to get back to it! I LOVE your title and your reasoning behind it...so often we stress as parents over the little things when in actuality it's those little things that truly define the moment. I can't wait to hear more, and maybe I'll start mine back up too! Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete